Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bringing Sexy Back

At the end of October, I spoke on Jesus’ “revolutionary” definitions of holiness. I usually receive some feedback from congregants about the messages, which is good (even the occasional negative comment is worthwhile). But every once in a while, most always a surpirse, I will receive more than a little feedback. “Buzz” is the word that comes to mind. The topic or delevery or my thoughts or some combination of the three seemed to really resonate. I love it when, good or bad, things that happen in church make people really think, explore, feel. God’s voice is so much easier to hear and understand when He has our attention.

Strange, while most of the points upon which people connected were different, one of my off-the-cuff statements emerged in quite a few conversations. Somewhere along the way, I said something about falling in love with my wife. It wasn't planned or even very strongly connected to the general topic. I made a comment about how captivating it was to watch her worship. How gorgeous she was in those moments when she was lost in love with God. I hadn’t thought it should be all that novel an idea. Still, the positive reactions on this prompted me to unpack it a little more.

What is attraction but to see in someone else something we find disirable—something we want for ourselves? Lust can distort this, sure. But, far more stunning than any element of my wife’s physical appearance was this picture of self, holistically wrapped in presentation to the One she adored. She has beautiful eyes, an amazing smile, an adorable laugh; she is intellegent, thoughtful and witty; she has other very attractive features which a gentleman should not discuss. But, if in time these things begin to fill out or shrink back or sag or fade or should her mind become less sharp… all the things that happen as we age; her love for God, the beauty I see in her in those moments at His feet, it is timeless. In fact, it stands to grow more and more beautiful with increasing wisdom and the passage of time.

Today I turn 36 years old. I received an e-card from one of my aunts, wishing me a happy birthday. The closing screen flashed Psalm 103:5 from Eugene Peterson’s, The Message. I had never seen the idea of this verse interpreted this way. It said, “He renews your youth—you're always young in his presence.” See what I mean? His presence… timeless… beautiful!

I am blessed. It is only four o’clock in the afternoon and already I have received twelve facebook wall posts (from all over the world), two emails, four phone calls, five text messages and two personal appearances to wish me a happy birthday. This is in addition to my wife and boys. I don’t think I have ever had so many independent, unsolicited (not associated with a group or party) birthday well wishes in my life. Curious.

I have a point. Can I get to it? Let’s see. My oldest son just went on a field trip to see the musical “Wicked” in L.A. The only song (in fact the only word) I know from the musical is “Popular.” (to be sung in a kind of half yodel made famous by Kristin Chenoweth) Apparently, at this point in the storyline, Glenda the good witch is trying to convince the young wicked witch of the west to embrace a quest for popularity. The most she offers by way of help is a quick fashion makeover. There are many ways to gain popularity. Few of them involve acquiring or demonstrating eternally attractive qualities.

Grant me a moment of narcisism. “Popular” has never been a word with which I have much associated myself. And yet, somehow today, I have never felt more “popular” and for all the right reasons. Not because it’s my birthday, but because, for the past few years I have chosen to more actively pursue in my own life the eternal things I find most attractive. There are many factors contributing to today’s events (including technological convenience). But, as I think through the list of people who have wished me well on my “special day” and consider the content in their expressions, I believe many were offered, not out of sense of obligation or because of what the giver hoped to receive in return or simply because they were prompted by a social networking site, but because of connections formed from a genuine affection for and attraction to the God parts of me. I don’t know quite what to do with that thought. Even though I have done little to earn such a thing, I’m still honored and humbled by the very idea. And, while it may not be as true as I’d like to think, I will indeed cherish the thought a bit longer. Because, whether or not it is altogether true, I desire to live my life in order to make it so.

So, here’s to bringing sexy back. A life lived in worship is HOT! Dang, I wanna get wid dat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the middle of writing a paper for "Composition and Discourse Theory" I decided to check my e-mail. Clicking the invitation to this blog turned out to be more than just a way to divert my attention from the horrific task I have at hand. This blog, James, invigorated for me many senses: 1. The reminder that I am looking for someone who is more than attractive, but that has eternal qualities about him, 2. It defibrillated my joy of writing and the reason I am an English major. Your piece is written very well and provokes great thought and introspection, 3. I appreciated the comment on age; perhaps because I rapidly approach my birthday, but more because it is a positive way to view our aging. While our world hides behind wrinkle cream, we can stare deeper into the face of our maker and renew ourselves.
Thank you for the invitation!
-Franchesca Maria

Kristy said...

James, I am overwhelmed by your incredible ability to express your love for me in words. I am blessed to have you as my husband and my best friend. I must say that I believe that I fell in love with you while you led me into worship and ministered with me. For me, God is my life-source; therefore, it makes sense to me that my husband would share the same life- source. I am not saying that either one of is perfect or that we always get life right. We do strive very hard to do and be what God wants and that it isn't as easy as it sounds:) You are an amazing father who loves your sons with life-giving words and actions. We love our adventures!
From your adoring wife,
Kris

the staff said...

oh jim, i wanna come to your church and listen. can i please, oh, just let me!

Mike said...

You're the new Kramer... you're out there baby and we're lovvviiinnnggg it!!! I'm really glad you decided to go global.